When it comes to radiology equipment projects, you are probably wondering what "turnkey solution" means exactly... what it includes and, more importantly, what it might not include.
The planning process for each radiology equipment modality varies greatly and for most Imaging Centers, Surgery Centers and even Hospitals, it can be overwhelming. The term “Turnkey” also has a wide variety of definitions among the different providers – OEMs and Independent.
Bear with me for a minute as I assimilate to an experience most everyone has experienced. If you’ve ever built a home or purchased an automobile (new or pre-owned), the air conditioner (in some climates), 30 year shingles, egress windows are not simply included. Nor on most car models is the full-sized spare tire or anti-lock brakes or highest-end multi-disc changer included.
It's All Negotiable
Perhaps it’s different in your town, but in my town, a pre-owned vehicle’s warranty is completely negotiable and any length of coverage simply isn’t “free”. One quickly learns in the process of buying new or pre-owned, not everything is included. Only the items that have been carefully written in the agreement/contract and mutually agreed upon (with a reputable organization) will be delivered.
Check the Fine Print
“Turn-Key” does not necessarily include a variety of items… for instance, site improvements: space, additions, HVAC upgrades/changes, Power, shielding/lead lining, etc. Nor does it necessarily include a chiller, power conditioner, optional equipment that the OEM’s do not consider a part of the original equipment, room drawings or applications training to name a few. Of course, some of these may be included but you have to check the fine print. The tired old saying prevails… "You get what you pay for.”
To be of more support to customers, a truly professional organization offering Turnkey Radiology Equipment Solutions will be fully capable of:
- Room Drawings - both preliminary and final
- Professional Inspection - prior to removal or staging of the same
- Bonded/Insured Rigging
- Bonded/Insured Transportation
- Refurbishment by ISO Certified or other Professional Designation – ensuring quality measures are adhered to and tracked
- Authorized/Trained Engineers for Install
- Applications Training Arrangements - generally a-la-carte as each site’s staffing needs and proficiency with the make/model vary drastically (important side note: Apps Training fees may be pre-arranged to be included in the overall costs with good planning).
- First Scan/Fully Functional Warranty/Service Agreement and/or Multiple Year Service Agreement Options - You may pay less than the company down the road if you agree to a multiple year service agreement vs. buying the system only installed. The seller has more opportunity to mitigate risk this way… and the outcome is win-win for everyone (less paid for the system and less paid-out over multiple years of service when compared to buying pre-owned and or new from the OEM).
Did Your Negotiation Include What You Need?
Many modalities are best purchased “all inclusive” instead of a “piece-meal” from the list outlined above. For others, the seller may option the services a-la-carte. Keep in mind though that some of the services mentioned might be contingent upon securing a bundle of services all from a single vendor.
I recommend you work only with an organization that has a professional team of logistics support to navigate your project all the way from concept to project accomplished... a true Turnkey solution for your next radiology equipment project.